If you are a person who is passionate about networking, then you must be well aware of switches. Switches aid in connecting multiple computers together that are on the same network. They also help in managing traffic effectively between them. Switches aim to expand the capacity of your existing network by enabling you to connect more devices on their ports. The best 8 port gigabit switch will help you in connecting 8 different devices to a network at the same time. It is used in tandem with your router. Using up an 8 port gigabit switch will surely max out the speed of your network thereby making connections over your network more efficient. This article will provide you a detailed analysis of 8 port gigabit switches, their purpose, product reviews, buying guide, as well as how to set up and configure them properly.
What is the purpose of the 8 port gigabit switch?
As you must be well aware that when a switch is put into use in a wired network, it connects the other devices with the use of Ethernet cables. With the use of an 8 port gigabit switch, the facilitation of connecting multiple devices becomes easier. Many of you might be questioning that why should one choose to go with using 8 port gigabit switches when we can get the cables connected by using the ports that are present on the back of the router or modem. The answer to this question lies in the various advantages that you can enjoy with the use of 8-port gigabit switches. Let’s have a look at some of them.
- With the use of an 8-port gigabit switch, you can get 8 devices connected at one time.
- 8-port gigabit switches help in providing proper information about the usage of the monitor.
- Using an 8-port gigabit switch helps to facilitate communication that is even faster than the internet.
- With the use of pluggable modules, 8-bit gigabit switches can be tailored to your desired network needs.
- 8-bit gigabit switches help to keep traffic between two devices from getting in the other device’s way on the same network.
Best 8 Port gigabit switch Reviews in 2021
We have made a list of top five 8-port gigabit switches that can serve you in the best of your interests. We have provided you with a detailed review and analysis of these switches so that you can make a better choice about which switch you should go for. Let’s proceed.
1. NETGEAR GS308 8 Port gigabit ethernet unmanaged switch
When it comes to the brand name of NETGEAR SOHO, the switches that are manufactured under this brand name tend to provide ease and affordability. They can serve to be the best option when it comes to the network connectivity of small offices as well as homes. These switches are characterized by having plug-and-play features. Owing to this feature expanding your network connections to multiple devices becomes an easier proposition.
These switches do not require any configuration too. To ensure maximum throughput at wire speed, these switches exhibit a non-blocking architecture. It can easily be connected to a modem or a router along with wireless devices including laptops, gaming consoles as well as printers. Its unique reflective surface helps the switch to get blended into any kind of environment making it more stylish and sleek.
This unit also comes up with an LED indicator on each port, fanless design and an energy efficient technology. The fanless design of this unit does not create any distractions in the work environment. Its non-blocking switching architecture and auto negotiation make it a highly advanced device. The NETGEAR- 8 Port gigabit ethernet unmanaged switch(GS308) is backed by a 3-year limited product assurance. It provides you 24/7 90 days of technical support. These switches are reliable in their performance.
- This 8 port gigabit switch is highly affordable.
- It does not require any configuration and it is simple to install.
- It can easily be mounted on both desktop and walls.
- This unit is reliable and exhibits quality performance.
- Its fanless design ensures that there is no distraction in the work environment.
- Many times the network it shows is not the actual network that is present.
2. LINKSYS SE3008 8 port gigabit ethernet switch
This 8 port gigabit switch allows you to connect 8 different devices to reliable and fast gigabit ethernet. Installing and setting up the LINKSYS 8 port gigabit ethernet switch is extremely simple. It exhibits an easier and effective plug-and-play installation too.
This unit provides you with a Full-duplex IEEE 802.3x flow control as well as half duplex backpressure having an intelligent port-based congestion detection as well as a broadcast rate control. Owing to this feature, it helps in establishing and providing a reliable as well as fast connection.
All of its ports support auto MDI/MDIX cable detection. This switch comes up with a non head-of-line blocking architecture. In order to detect the unused ports, this unit also features an advanced power saving mode. Owing to its QoS, this switch aids in providing you with better streaming features by prioritizing video and audio applications.
- The LINKSYS 8 port gigabit ethernet switch comes with the capability to detect unused ports.
- This 8 port gigabit switch is easier to install and use.
- You can connect a variety of devices easily with this switch.
- It provides great functionality at a low cost.
- At times, this unit requires regular booting.
- This switch does not allow you to decide whether you should put it on a 1000/100/10 Mbps connection.
3. UBIQUITI network UniFi 8 Port network switch
This unit comes up with gigabit ethernet ports that are in a compact form. These switches are completely manageable and deliver a robust and reliable performance every time. Each of the UniFi switches that are present in this device support up to 8 Gbps.
This switch features a switch management type that is fully managed. The features of automatic detection as well as automatic speed sensing further makes this 8 port gigabit switch one of the best options that are available in the market. It comes up with a PoE Passthrough. Owing to this feature, you can keep your PoE devices powered, you can add Ethernet ports where they are needed. In order to simultaneously process traffic on all ports at line rate and that too without packet loss, this switch offers forwarding capacity as well. It exhibits a switching capacity of 16 Gbps.
- It’s PoE Passthrough cleanly adds up ethernet ports when they are needed.
- It is easier to install and use.
- It can be easily mounted on a wall or desktop.
- It is not compatible with some of the web browsers.
4. TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8 port gigabit switch
The TP-Link 8 port 10/100/1000 Mbps gigabit ethernet switch exhibits 4.48 watts per PoE (power over ethernet) port. In order to ensure quick transfer of bandwidth-intensive files that are larger in size and that too without interference, this unit comes up with a non-blocking architecture. It has a maximum data speed of 1000 megabits per second. It helps in providing you with the facility of Quality of Service traffic prioritization.
To add to its innovative design, the TP-Link 8 port 10/100/1000 Mbps gigabit ethernet switch also features automatic speed sensing as well as automatic detection capabilities. Its auto-negotiation RJ45 ports help in expanding up the capacity of the network using this switch. Reliable data transfer is ensured by this unit with its IEEE 802.3x flow control.
This switch comes up with an easy setup and no configuration. It can save up to 80% of your power usage by adjusting power consumption based on the link status and cable length. It features a fan-less quiet design that can be mounted on a desktop. With its ability to support auto-MDI/MDIX, the need for crossover cables gets eliminated. This unit provides you with a 2-year warranty and unlimited 24/7 free technical support.
- This 8 port gigabit ethernet switch is easy to install and setup.
- Its plug-and-play feature facilitates ease in its usage.
- It is made up of sturdy and highly durable materials.
- Its fanless design ensures that there is no distraction in the work environment.
- It is able to automatically adjust power-saving and saves up to 80% of the power.
- Some people may find it a little bit slower in its speed.
5. D-Link DGS-108 8-Port gigabit ethernet switch
This 8-port gigabit switch is the new extension to D-Link’s new series of SOHO devices. It makes the use of D-Link’s green technology. It aids in providing energy savings, reducing heat as well as providing the switch with a longer product life and that too without compromising with the performance and functionality of the switch.
This switch helps in providing your network with an easy expansion. It also upgrades your network thereby facilitating gigabit connectivity. This 8 port gigabit switch is RoHS compliant and it minimizes the use of harmful substances. To add to all this, the D-Link DGS- 108 8-Port gigabit unmanaged switch further makes this switch excessively environment friendly. This unit has auto MDI/MDIX crossover for all the ports. This device also promotes a store-and-forward switching scheme. These switches are built to last owing to their durable nature. They feature a rugged metal housing and a fan-less construction. They come with a limited lifetime warranty.
- It is easy to install and use.
- The D-Link DGS- 108 8-Port gigabit unmanaged switch is extremely environment friendly.
- This unit is RoHS compliant and features an easy plug-and-play installation.
- At times it exhibits inconsistent speeds.
How to choose the best 8 port gigabit switch?
If you look out in the market, there are numerous companies that specialize in manufacturing 8-port gigabit switches. Such a huge variety of options can perplex anyone’s ability to make the correct purchase. There are certain people who claim that going out with a 16 port or a 24 port gigabit switch would serve you well but this is certainly not the case. When it comes to small businesses and home needs, 8-port switches can serve to be the most viable option. However, there are certain factors that you need to consider before you go out to purchase an 8 port gigabit switch. They are:-
The number of devices that are used in the network serves to be the prime factor on which the speed of an 8-port gigabit switch is dependent upon. It may vary from one user to the other. In such a case you need to be careful about the speed. If you are going to use an 8-port gigabit switch for household needs, a speed that ranges up to 1000 Gbps will be more than sufficient. However, in the cases of a small business unit, the speed needs to be greater. In smaller business units a Soper that ranges up to 2000 Gbps will be ideal for tackling the requirements of such a kind of environment.
PoE or non-PoE switch
Many people get confused about whether they should be going with a PoE switch or a non-PoE switch. In a general scenario, PoE switches that refer to the Power over Ethernet switches serve to be a better choice as compared to non-PoE switches. Power over Ethernet (PoE) switches provide you with the capability to facilitate transmission of data and power supply to the device at the same time. Talking about non-PoE switches, they are unable to support the transmission of data and power supply to the device at the same time. However, it should be considered that both of them are efficient in their own manner. Out of these two, which kind of switch you should go for is primarily dependent on your individual requirements.
Last but not the least, your budget plays an important role in determining which kind of 8 port gigabit switch you should go for. You should never choose to go with an option that proves to be hard-hitting on your pocket and makes you overspend your budget. Talking specifically about an 8-port Gigabit switch, they are highly affordable and easily available. The products that are being listed by us in the products’ reviews heading is surely going to guide you in buying the best and the most affordable 8-port gigabit switch that can serve your needs and requirements.
How to set up an 8 port gigabit switch?
Setting up an 8 port Gigabit switch requires you to follow the below-mentioned steps. Let’s have a look at them.
- The first step involves connecting up the one port that is present in the switch to a LAN port that is present on the router that is connected to the internet.
- Afterward, you need to connect your device to the other LAN ports that are present on the switch.
- The final step involves turning on the switch after getting it connected to the power adapter to the switch and plugging up the power adapter into an electrical outlet.
How to configure an 8 port gigabit switch?
An 8 port gigabit switch helps you to get a rich layer 2 functionality for the switches that are present in your networks.
Configuring up an 8 port gigabit switch involves few steps that are easy to follow. With these steps, you can get your 8 port gigabit switch configured with ease and efficiency. Let’s have a look at those steps. You can also make a note of these steps if you like.
Save configuration to FLASH
If you make any changes or modifications in the configuration of the switch, you would like to have those changes available after the switch gets rebooted. To facilitate this, you need to save the configuration to FLASH. You can get it done by clicking on Save Configurations to FLASH. After that, you can click Apply.
Restoring to Defaults
To delete up all the data that is related to custom configuration along with restoring the switch to its factory default state, you need to click on Restore to Defaults. After clicking in Restore, you need to confirm the next message by clicking OK. Afterward, you can logout from the web administration interface, by clicking on Logout and then confirming the next message by clicking OK.
To restart your 8 port gigabit switch you need to click on the Reboot option. Once the restart process has been completed you need to re-authenticate at the login page to gain access once again.
This step helps in configuring up your 8-bit Gigabit switch. By clicking on the Refresh option, the contents that are present on the screen get reloaded and thereby the most current information is seen.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What exactly is an 8-port gigabit switch?
An 8-port gigabit switch allows you to get 8 devices added up to your home or office network with the use of the plug-and-play installation. As compared to an ordinary 10/100 Ethernet connection, an 8-port gigabit switch helps in providing a connection that is 10 times faster.
2. What advantages are served by an 8-port gigabit switch when it comes to data transfer?
An 8-port gigabit switch resembles the working of a repeater that helps in the regeneration of data signals as they tend to pass through it. Owing to this feature, a gigabit switch helps in safeguarding against data loss thereby ensuring transmissions to arrive at their respective destinations in a secured manner. A gigabit switch also aids in intelligent filtering of data that is dependent on source and destination. On the contrary, a repeater is only capable to regenerate the signal without keeping a check on the recipients.
3. Can all the 8 port gigabit switches be wall mounted?
Not necessarily. However, in most cases, 8 port gigabit switches come with the feature that allows them to be mounted on walls.
4. If one connects a computer to a switch, will it automatically have internet access?
If the switch is being connected to a router, then the computer that will be connected to the switch will be having an access to the internet. However, it must be noted that routers or modems that have DHCP capabilities facilitate the sharing of internet connection between computers.
5. What should be done when your computer cannot be connected to the internet while being connected to the switch?
You should take the following steps in order to get this issue resolved:
- You should ensure that LEDs are properly lit on the screen.
- After that, you need to power OFF the switch and the computer.
- Then again you need to power ON the computer.
These steps will probably solve the issues that your system might be facing.
6. What should be done if the switch faces and experiences an excessive amount of collisions?
In such a case, you should verify if your network cabling is crimped securely and properly installed.
Irrespective of whether you are a newbie or a well-known person regarding networks and switches, this article would have surely added up to your information regarding 8 port gigabit ethernet switches. If you have further queries, let us know in the comments section and we will be getting back to you with answers as soon as possible. Also, don’t forget to mention your feedback as they are highly appreciated by us. Till then, happy networking. Thanks for reading.
Leave a Reply